BC Book Prizes

LG AWARD NOMINATIONS
Deadline January 31, 2018

Stay in Touch

BC Book Prize email alerts:

For Email Marketing you can trust

Purchases

Gala tickets, award seals, other

BC Book Prizes
#901-207 W. Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1H7
Tel (604) 687-2405
Fax (604) 687-2435
info@bcbookprizes.ca

On Tour

April 14, 2010

ON TOUR: BC Book Prizes Northern Leg
Posted by Cathleen With

Cathleen With

It’s an amazing thing for this west coast girl who has been away to really be seeing this beautiful part of BC. I was impressed by the young people at Hazelton High School: their insightful questions, and how Erica and Jody made us feel right at home in their school. Then, against the beauty of the mountains, meeting Melanie and Anne at The Learning Shop and Storytellers Foundation: http://www.ccednet-rcdec.ca/files/ccednet/Storytellers_Final.pdf who welcomed us into their space (still thinking about that funky blue scarf, Gretel, and Erica still reigns as the best ice cream cone head ever:), and the work they are doing with Hazelton’s youth.

Then off to the spectacular drive to Prince Rupert this morning—really, was it really this morning? Every day seems like I have lived a lifetime, and Michael’s youth working in the cannery and Kari’s stories about her kids, and Kristen’s tales of her husband—I feel these people are long lost relatives and we are on a kind of family reunion (or family rebellion as Kristen would put it:). And yes, I am still salivating over Bryan’s iPad! He takes such arty photos too, he doesn’t know that I secretly go behind him and take the same picture.
Michael and I were welcomed into Charles Hays Secondary by grade 8, 10, 11 students, Dianne, Mr Russell (a fellow author, we found out!). The students again asked insightful and varied questions—and i am excited to see that many are artists involved in their own writing—-Tyler, email me that story, I can’t wait to read it:)
We had a reading tonight at the Museum of Northern BC and the sunset was stellar. A stunning view, warm people, and….Lindor chocolates! Way to a writer’s heart fast. Shout out to Stephan and Carla: who are helping the youth in Prince George, and Joel and Justin: the two directors of the Crystal Palace, a new and innovative gallery and creative space in the heart of Prince Rupert.

Filed under: Northern Leg 2010 | 7 Comments | Permalink

Comments

Karen Kinna
Apr 15, 2010 at 08:58 AM

Dear Ms. With ...

You sound like you are living an extraordinarily blessed life!  I am so jealous.  What a chance you have to inspire/change/teach/enlighten our youth of today!

So proud of you!  It’s writers like you that make us writers stuck at home plonking away dream BIG!

Vicky Chan
Apr 15, 2010 at 02:19 PM

Cathleen,

What a glorious way to promote your book, by bringing it to the youth in such a gorgeous part of your home province. Congrats again on your continued success. No one deserves it more than you!

Love the book! And you’re looking so joyous and alive in the photos too!

James Pettit
Apr 15, 2010 at 07:21 PM

So happy you’re getting this opportunity!  Even happier for the students whose lives you’re enriching.  Look forward to hearing more about the tour!

Jacqui Thomas
Apr 15, 2010 at 08:59 PM

Spreading Cath-ness through the north. What an adventure…and how lucky are the youth that are inspired by you.

Vicky’s right: you DO look so joyous and alive in the photos. That’s my Cath.

xo js

Jake Tobin Garrett
Apr 15, 2010 at 09:05 PM

Look like you’re having a much deserved blast. What a way to kick off a new year after a birthday!

Pat Rose
Apr 16, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Hey Cathleen,

Congratulations! Great to hear from you. Wow, it looks like you and Kari-Lynn are having so much fun. I’ve printed some of your blog and Bryan’s photos for our CrWr notice board.

Pat

Dianne Rabel
Apr 17, 2010 at 03:11 PM

I’m sorry I didn’t get to the museum as promised.  This week has taken its toll and by evening I was too exhausted to move.  But what a special visit we had with you, Cathleen and Michael, at Charles Hays Secondary.  Thank you so much for brightening an otherwise dismal week.  I’ll speak to Tyler about his story.  I send some very nice photos to the local newspaper.